Corporate profile

Carlisle Tire.  A Company History. 

In 1917 Charles S. Moomy opened Carlisle Tire and Rubber Company in Carlisle, Pennsylvania to produce and sell inner tubes to Montgomery Ward and Company. With thirty employees,  the Company grew and prospered until the Stock Market crash of 1929 and the beginning of the Great Depression.

Carlisle Tire and Rubber, like most other companies during the period, struggled through the Depression and became the subject of some corporate reorganization.  The end of the depression and the beginning of World War II forced change upon the rubber industry.  Because of the war, 95% of the natural rubber supply from the East Indies was blockaded, causing tire companies to manufacture with synthetic rubber.

Carlisle Tire and Rubber was purchased by Pharis Tire and Rubber Company in 1943.  The Pharis Board of Directors liquidated the company in 1949, distributing all Carlisle stock to Pharis stockholders.  The company was officially renamed Carlisle Corporation.  For additional history, see www.carlisle.com/about-carlisle/history/default.aspx

Moving forward to the 1990’s Carlisle acquired several wheel manufacturers to augment product offerings and the Company officially became Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company.  These acquisitions include current sites in Aiken, South Carolina; Edwardsville, Kansas; Ontario, California; and Grand Prairie, Texas.

In 1994, Carlisle expanded manufacturing operations into the Asia Pacific region, acquiring a tire factory in Buji, China.  In September, 1997 Canadian distribution operations were acquired in Waterloo, Ontario; Winnipeg, Manitoba;  and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.  To expand lawn, garden and agricultural production capacity, Carlisle purchased a factory in Clinton, Tennessee and additional distribution operations in Slinger, Wisconsin in 2000.

In 2001, Carlisle expanded into the industrial belt industry, purchasing Dayco belt facilities in Springfield, Missouri; Ft. Scott, Kansas; and Miamisburg, Ohio.  In 2007, a second Asian tire manufacturing facility commenced operations in Meizhou, China.

In 2009, Carlisle Tire & Wheel Europe office and warehouse was opened in The Netherlands to serve distributors and customers in Europe, Middle East and Africa.

In 2010, a 670,000 sq. ft. distribution center was opened in McDonough, Georgia followed by a flagship 568,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility in Jackson, Tennessee.

In 2011 all tire, wheel and belt operations were consolidated, forming Carlisle Transportation Products, Inc., a divisional company of Carlisle Companies, Inc.

American Industrial Partners (AIP) acquired the Transportation Products division (The Carlstar Group) of Carlisle Companies on December 31, 2013. Working alongside an exceptional management team and talented associates, AIP will drive operational enhancements to more efficiently and effectively serve the needs of customers.

The Carlstar Group, LLC is headquartered in Franklin, TN with 4,000 associates in 7 manufacturing facilities and 10 distribution centers located in the United States, Canada, Europe and China. The Carlstar Group is a worldwide supplier of industrial belts, specialty tires and wheels serving the agricultural, industrial, lawn & garden, and powersports markets.  As in the beginning, The Carlstar Group remains focused on quality, performance, durability, value and continuous improvement.
 

Industry Affiliations

Association of Rubber Products Manufacturers (ARPM)

Mechanical Power Transmission Association (MPTA)

National Association of Trailer Manufacturers (NATM)

Outdoor Power Equipment Association (OPEAA)

Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI)

Power Transmission Distributors Association (PTDA)

Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)